Posted on: 7 January 2015
Taking your dog to the veterinary clinic can be expensive, especially if your dog suffers from a condition that requires medication. A common condition dogs experience is arthritis, which causes joint pain and stiffness. While many vets treat this with medication, an affordable clinic might be able to help you find some natural methods to use that are much less expensive. Here are some of the options your vet might suggest.
Change of Diet and Lifestyle
Arthritis tends to develop with age, but you may have some control over how it affects your dog. By changing your dog's diet, your dog might find some relief from the pain and stiffness. Here are some ideas:
- Reduce the amount of food it gets – In some cases, dogs develop joint pain because they are overweight. If your dog is overweight, you should cut back on the amount of food you give it.
- Choose healthier food – Ask your vet if there is a specific type of food that might help with joint pain. The vet may suggest using dog food that contains fish oil, or the vet might tell you to add fish oil to the dog's current food.
- Start exercising – Dogs need exercise just like people do, and by taking your dog on daily walks, you can help your dog stay healthier and strong.
Natural Remedies for Reducing Pain
In addition to some basic lifestyle changes, your vet might be able to help you learn how to complete tasks with your dog that could help it feel better, and here are some ideas:
- Hydrotherapy – If you have a hot tub or whirlpool bathtub, you could place your dog in it. This type of therapy is used often with people that suffer from arthritis pain, but it can also be used for dogs. Make sure you find out from your vet what temperature you should use for the hot water.
- Physical therapy – Taking walks helps a dog get good exercise, but dogs can also go through physical therapy. This is designed to strengthen muscles, and it can help a dog keep its mobility.
- Massage – The third thing you could learn is how to massage your dog. Your dog will love this and could greatly benefit if you learn how to do it properly.
With these tips, you might be able to avoid giving your dog medication. Not only could this save you a lot of money, but these things could also be healthier for your dog. To learn more, contact an affordable veterinary clinic, such as 1st Pet Veterinary Centers - Chandler.Share