Ingesting Alcohol Can Be Deadly For Your Dog

Posted on: 8 January 2015

You may be aware that chocolate can be life threatening for your dog. However, did you know that alcohol can also be life threatening for your dog? All alcohol contains ethanol. Ethanol is a toxic substance for dogs.

Keep Alcohol Away From Your Dog

The easiest way to prevent your dog from experiencing alcohol poisoning is to keep alcohol away from your dog. Do not place any alcoholic drinks on low tables or chairs where your dog could knock over your drink. Lapping up that spilled drink could be fatal for your beloved dog.

Keep in mind that items such as mouthwash, aftershave, perfumes and rubbing alcohols all contain alcohol and should be kept away from your dog.

Foods cooked with alcohol, such as fruit cake, can also cause alcohol poisoning in your dog, so don't let them eat anything that has been baked or otherwise prepared with alcohol.

If your dog does happen to lap up some alcohol, you may first notice signs of alcohol ingestion and later, signs of poisoning.

Signs Your Dog Ingested Alcohol

After your dog ingests alcohol, they may start behaving differently. You may notice that your normal calm dog becomes extremely active. Or, you may notice that your dog walking around like they are confused and unsure of where to go. Your dog may look like they are staggering around. The symptoms of drunkenness in dogs are similar to those in humans.

Treating Alcohol Ingestion

If you notice your dog exhibiting these signs and alcohol is around, you need to get the ethanol out of your dog's system as fast as possible. You can do this by inducing vomiting. Mixing a little hydrogen peroxide with water should cause your dog to throw up and get the alcohol out of their system.

Signs Your Dog Has Alcohol Poisoning

It can be easy to miss the signs listed above. If you are not able to detect that your dog has ingested alcohol and induce vomiting, slowly the alcohol will make its way into your dog's bloodstream. It takes between three to four hours for alcohol to reach your dog's bloodstream.

Once it reaches your dog's bloodstream, you dog will start to exhibit signs of alcohol poisoning. When that happens, you need to react fast and get your dog to your vet or to a local emergency vet as quickly as possible.

Here are the signs you need to watch out for:

  • Panting, even though your dog has not exerted any energy
  • Slow movements
  • An inability to stand or walk correctly
  • Vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Collapsing
  • A foaming mouth

If your dog starts doing one or more of the things listed above, get them to the vet right away.

Treating Alcohol Poisoning

Your vet will run a quick test to confirm that your dog is suffering from ethanol or alcohol poisoning. Your vet may pump your dog's stomach to get rid of the ethanol, or he may give your dog activated charcoal to absorb the ethanol. Depending on your dog's condition, your dog may also need to get some fluids intravenously.

Try your best to keep alcohol away from your dog. If you see your dog lap up something with alcohol in it, induce vomiting and watch for signs of alcohol poisoning. If you notice your dog exhibiting signs of alcohol poisoning, get them to the vet fast in order to save their lives. For more information, contact a clinic like River View Veterinary Service LLC.